Friday, December 13, 2013

12 Days of Christmas Cookies - Day #6 - John's Jolly Red Velvet Cookies

John's Jolly Red Velvet Cookies

I have loved red velvet since I was in high school, which was <sadly> a decade ago...long before red velvet became trendy!  When I met John, I passed my love of red velvet onto him!  He now requests my red velvet cupcakes on his birthday (he tries to request them for other people's birthdays as well)!  That is why I knew I had to make red velvet cookies as part of my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies.  


Now these cookies are super simple...they are cake mix cookies!!!  Of course if you don't feel like making drop cookies, you can always whip up a batch of my Red Velvet Fudge Bars.  They are just as good and slightly less work.  Both will look festive and cheery on your Christmas Cookie Tray! 

Here's What You Need to Make John's Jolly Red Velvet Cookies:
  • 1 box red velvet cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup oil (veggie or canola work best)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • extra white chocolate for melting and drizzling 

Now Let's Make John's Jolly Red Velvet Cookies:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
  2. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract on a low to medium speed (if you do not have a stand mixer, you can use a hand mixer or just mix by hand)
  3. On the lowest speed, beat in the white chocolate and semisweet chocolate chips - your batter will be stickier than a traditional dough
  4. Drop dough onto prepared cookie trays - I used a cookie scoop but you can just use a spoon
  5. Bake for approximately 10 minutes
  6. Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheets for 1-2 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely 
  7. Once cookies are completely cool, drizzle with melted white chocolate (I used a bar of Bakers White Chocolate melted in the microwave on 50% power).  Allow white chocolate to cool and harden before storing cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...